Thursday, February 28, 2013

Caligula (1979)



Director:
 Tinto Brass
Writer:
 Gore Vidal (original screenplay)



The rise and fall of the notorious Roman Emperor Caligula, showing the violent methods that he employs to gain the throne, and the subsequent insanity of his reign - he gives his horse political office and humiliates and executes anyone who even slightly displeases him. He also sleeps with his sister, organizes elaborate orgies and embarks on a fruitless invasion of England before meeting an appropriate end. There are various versions of the film, ranging from the heavily- truncated 90-minute version to the legendary 160-minute hardcore version which leaves nothing to the imagination (though the hardcore scenes were inserted later and do not involve the main cast members).



So after all these years, I've finally gotten around to watching the movie Caligula.  I'm guessing most of you are expecting me to love this movie.  But, frankly, I didn't.  Yes, I'ts got a whole ton of naked hot chicks running about, and even the hardcore scenes (which weren't all that appealing to tell you the truth), but that couldn't overcome the fact that I was bored out of my mind.


I have no qualms about the acting in this film.  Malcolm McDowell plays the tyrannical Caligula pretty well.  Other excellent actors appear such as Peter O'Toole, John Gielgud, and Helen Mirren, but most of them aren't in this film very much.  The rest of the acting is decent.


My biggest problem with this film is the complete lack of action.  I was pretty bored most of the time.  I went so far as trying to decide if I should even include this in the blog.  But, I finally figured it was a historical Roman piece and should be here.


I had no problem with the over-the-top gore and craziness, or the hardcore explicit sex and nudity, but I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone who is not prepared for these things.  If the above bothers you at all, skip this movie.




Verdict:  Not recommended

The Cast


Malcolm McDowell ... Caligula


Teresa Ann Savoy ... Drusilla


Peter O'Toole ... Tiberius


Guido Mannari ... Macro


John Gielgud ... Nerva


Helen Mirren ... Caesonia


Adriana Asti ... Ennia


Bruno Brive ... Gemellus


Giancarlo Badessi ... Claudius


Paolo Bonacelli ... Chaerea


Mirella D'Angelo ... Livia


John Steiner ... Longinus


Leopoldo Trieste ... Charicles


Donato Placido ... Proculus









1 comment:

  1. I've never bothered with this for the reasons you list. The contents doesn't bother me, it's just I've never read a positive review of it.

    I guess eventually I'll get round to seeing it, but to be honest I'm quite happy with TV's Spartacus for all the Roman era sex and gore I need ;)

    ReplyDelete